CORE TREATMENT 1 – EDUCATION
There are OA education programs for people with OA of the hip or knee. Understanding OA gives you the knowledge and tools to manage your symptoms. Education is offered in many formats, including in-person group programs, community-based programs, virtual platforms, and written materials.
- There are OA education programs for people with OA of the hip or knee
- Understanding your OA through education can improve your life
- Education will give you the information you need to understand your OA, or to understand a treatment before you start it
- Examples: how a pool exercise program is going to work, the GLA:D® education classes, or classes on how to cope with your OA.
- The Good Life with osteoArthritis: Denmark (GLA:D®) program is an education and exercise program that promotes independence in physical activity
- Education can be offered in many formats, including in-person group programs, community-based programs, virtual platforms, and written materials.
- Intro to Osteoarthritis Education Class
- MyHealth Alberta
- Healthier Together
- Better Choices, Better Health
- COMET Program Glen Sather Sports Medicine Clinic
- GLA:D Canada and GLA:D Alberta
- OA Self-Management Toolkit
- SAMPLE Resource Inventory
- FORM to Document/Modify a Care Plan for Conservative Management of OA
- Arthritis Society Learning Modules
Education gives you the tools and knowledge you need to manage your osteoarthritis during your life-long osteoarthritis journey. Understanding your osteoarthritis through education can improve your quality of life. Choose new education options each time you revise your care plan:
Types of osteoarthritis Education Classes
The more you know about your osteoarthritis the more you’ll also be able to share in the decisions you make for your care plan as it changes over time. Be sure to ask your clinician or clinician team any questions you have about your osteoarthritis treatments and care plan.
Invite your support people to come to the education classes with you; family and friend support is an important part of helping you manage your osteoarthritis. Share written information so you can talk about the information together. Having people in your life who understand your disease and can remind you about what you’re learning will help you manage your osteoarthritis.
Finding or Designing OA Education Resources
The osteoarthritis Self-Management Education booklet introduces you to osteoarthritis education. You can also watch this video for an overview of osteoarthritis information. The Web Resources section of the booklet has information about osteoarthritis that anyone can access.
Look for programs where you live and for programs health organizations may offer. For instance, a recreation centre may have a class for people with osteoarthritis.